Re: The dumbing down of the news

Joe Ross writes:
<<I suppse next they'll refer to the Pope as "Mr. John Paul."

Grumble Grumble!>>

There are very few news talkers who get Cardinal Law's description
correct, either.  "Bernard Cardinal Law" is how he'd like it (and
tradition seems to have it), and most say "Cardinal Bernard Law".  Not
to mention that he pronounces it "Ber'-nid".  File under:  News
habits?  Also, you know how deeper in a story, it's acceptable to
refer to your subject by last name only?  Are there incidences where
that is inappropriate?  My take is, even if the writer does not
ascribe to the political or religious presence of the subject, to
misspeak becomes a stumbling block to listeners otherwise accustomed
to the "custom".  It may also reveal a news bias and/or ignorance of
the subject heart.  IMO.

Bill O'Neill