Re: Greed

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 OnAir4U@aol.com wrote:

> In days of yore (whatever the hell yore is) I worked at WCCM in Lawrence, MA
> and we had spots for a local hardware store, a regular advertiser, who
> requested we run spots highlighting their fabulous bags o' ice melter and
> ergonomic snow shovels. These were to be aired only durng snow storms.
>
> Since radio is an immediate medium, is that greed on the part of the station
> or smart targeting by the AE and advertiser?

Interesting comment.  I guess I never thought about it that way, noting
preconceived bias.  However, you say that they requested you run the spots
during bad weather.  I know of spots that HAVE (no "option") to be run at
that point.

The reason I say greed is because I know that the GSM & GM created said
program (targeting it towards snowblower dealers, etc.)  They have all
kinds of these little programs.  I don't call them ingenious.  I say
they're another way to make a buck.

But that's just my opinion and I know that with a little research, you
could find several people who'd say I'm wrong :-)

Blaine