Re: Predictions for 1999

Mike, you are partially right and wrong:
First, 1200 tried local, by having Gene Burns do local talk via ISDN from San
Francisco and while it was welcome it really didn't do much in the ratings or
in rippling any listeners from WRKO. Of course, WKOX did virtually zero media
or advertising and really didn't try too hard in the talk format, IMO.
While they were doing talk, I listened off and on and what I usually heard was
the same five or ten people who hate WRKO and wanted to listen to something
else. Not only that, but at the time, WKOX really didn't take any chances;
besides Burns, they had Judy Jarvis on (who was also heard on WCAP at the
time), and Mary Matalin as well as other conservatives. Again, like I need to
keep repeating this but when is the most liberal/progressive town in America
going to get some liberal/progressive talk show hosts? There is a market for
it... if not here, where?
At the same time, depending one what mix of satellite or local they would do,
there is a desire for some competition in this town. Whoever decides to do
that will have to do some serious PR to get the word out there that there is
some competition and not sit on the idea like WKOX did the last time, if
anyone will even care in the non-radio industry world. I think there would be
a lot of interest since WRKO has fallen in sales and listenership, and let's
be honest, quality.

Mike said:

This group of bombastic, washed up has-beens?  Cutting into RKO??  Get real.
As
"messed up" as RKO is, or is percieved to be, this syndicated fare won't make
any real dent into 680.  Unless the syndicated program is well done like an
Imus, Stern or Rush, people won't listen regularly if at all.  The only way
1200
would be competitive is to bite the bullet and put on some local programming.

Mike Thomas
WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks