Re: Predictions for 1999

At 03:51 AM 12/7/98 -0500, you wrote:

>I thought WLIB was on Long Island....

The WLIB TX was in Queens when the station operated with 1 kW ND, but that
was more than 25 years ago. Since the power increase to 10 kW-L DA-L, the TX
has been in the Jersey Meadowlands, in or near Lyndhurst (very close to WOR
and WEVD and now right next to WJWR). The full-time operation with 10
kW-D/30 kW-N DA-2 will be from the same site; the night array uses two of
the day array's three towers plus a pair of new towers. From that site, the
signal has a good salt water path along the length of Long Island Sound to
parts of Cape Cod.

WKOX is not supposed to deliver more than 0.25 mV/m to WLIB's 0.5 mV/m
contour, which may or may not reach Cape Cod. Conversely (similarly?),
WLIB's 0.25 mV/m contour should not overlap WKOX's 0.5 mV/m contour. Night
operation is not relevant to the interference discussion because co-channel
interference limits both stations' protected contours to something much
greater than 0.5 mv/m at night.

As for the group of syndicated talk has-beens that I mentioned, I did not
say that I thought a station with a good signal running that lineup could
dethrone WRKO. I chose my words carefully. All I said was that such a
station could have a measureable effect on WRKO's ratings. I don't know what
RKO's numbers are, but if another AM talker pulled a 0.5 in a couple of
books in a row and WRKO's ratings dropped by an average of 0.5 in those
books, wouldn't you say that the new station had had a measurable effect?

I think that with a decent amount of promotion, a lineup such as the one I
listed on a good AM signal in Boston could pull consistent numbers in the
0.5 area. I have no idea what the syndicators would ask for these programs,
or whether they might simply barter for the time. If the latter, then the
cost of operating the station could be quite reasonable, especially if an
existing sales force sold the time to local advertisers. Because of the
relationship between Infinity and Westwood One, which syndicates several of
the shows that I mentioned, I'll bet that several of the programs would be
available for straight barter--at least if Infinity were the owner.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205