Re:WKBR-AM on 1240

Martin J Waters in a post on this subject made reference to stations on frequencies formerly limited to 5,000 watts not being interested in boosting their power here in New England. If you check Elliott, you'll see that WDER 1320 am in Derry, NH has a CP to go to 10KW days.  And deep inside that area of my brain not yet debilitated by dissolute living, I recall that at least a decade ago, before 5 KW-limited stations were allowed higher powers, WPLM 1390 am in Plymouth, Mass requested a rulemaking to let them go to 10 KW days.  They probably argued that since a good portion of their signal went out to sea anyway, what difference would a transmitter doubling make?  It seems to me that the Boston market would be ideal for all the 5 KW stations (590,950,1150,1260,1330,1430 and 1600) to build antenna systems aimed out to sea, but so far it hasn't happened.  As Inspector Clouseau once said: "All yew haff to dew is app-ply".

Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com