Re: WJIB calls...

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Bob Nelson wrote:

> Regarding what Bob and Donna were saying on
> yesterday's Let's Talk About Radio about
> the origin of the WJIB call letters, I thought
> that it had something to do with being owned by
> General Electric. The "J" was how the initial
> letter of "General" is pronounced; the "I" is
> how some people pronounce the initial letter of
> "Electric", and the "B" is for "Broadcasting".
> J-eneral
> I-lectric
> B-roadcasting

At the time, it was not owned by General Electric, but by Kaiser-Globe
Broadcasting, a joint venture of Kaiser Broadcasting and the Boston Globe.
I happened to meet the head honcho of the station at the time (whose name
escapes me), and I asked him about the call letters.  I was not familiar
with the word "jib."  He said that he wanted a nautical term because the
station's studios were on Commercial Wharf.

Of course, I suppose he could have chosen Commercial Wharf because he
wanted a nautical term, too.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/