Re: Bruce Bradley

In a message dated 11/25/98 2:24:35 PM EST, shel@big68.org writes:

<< I've encountered this problem as well, working with certain Air Talent.
 These individuals ought to realize that without listeners, they would not
 have jobs.  The bottom line is, their jobs are at the pleasure of the
 listeners.  I went through my share of groupies as well... sometimes they
 could be fairly aggressive, and that was not fun.  But that's part of the
 business.  I was more than happy to do as many remotes as I could be asked
 to do.  I loved my listeners, and appreciated them.  Unfortunately, my
respect for Bruce Bradley is no longer there. >>

I don't know anything about Bruce Bradley as a person and if the earlier post
was correct, he does not sound like a happy guy, but to knock someone for not
liking remotes is a little harsh.  Some people are good on the radio and like
the anonymity of being a faceless voice.  Being good in public and dealing
directly with the public is a different talent that does not necessarily come
with being good on the radio.  A good manager would recognize what talents are
good on remotes and use them instead of the members of the staff that may not
be comfortable performing in public.

I've always hated remotes because the sales department never seems to provide
you with enough copy points and they want you to repeat the same thing over
and over.  Plus the sales person always want you to interview the store/owner
manager who always seems to answer questions with one word answers.  Most
remotes I have heard on the air in Maine have equaled bad radio.  (I recognize
that a superior talent can make them sound good.  I am just saying that as
executed most of the remotes I hear on the air are poor.)  I know they bring
in the bucks and help promote the station so they are a necessary evil, but
they usually do not add much to the programming.  Shut up and play the tunes.

It is also important to remember that the people who show up at remotes and
want to talk to the air talent are usually not representative of the audience
in general.  (just like callers)

I love Imus' attitude about remotes.  He grumbles about them on the air,
complains about the places he has to go and the people he has to deal with,
but still puts full effort into the show.  Most people who have done remotes
really have the same attitude as the I-man, we just can't get away with saying
it on the air.

My worst remote was a six hour remote at a supermarket opening in 90 degree
weather with six breaks an hour.  Ugh.  It's a supermarket.  After a couple of
hours what's left to say?  The worst part was that the ad agency loved the
tape that the station sent them and I ended up doing another store opening a
couple months later under similiar conditions.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine