Bulletins at once (was Re: NorthEast Radio Watch 11/20: Hartford...)

>>...Bulletins, as we used to say on WCAP, at
>>once!
>
>Sounded good.  With the ability to deliver same.  But did we ever actually
>"bulletin at once" in your tenure there?!
>
>Bill O'Neill

I would think that depends how you define "bullejtin".  If the Red Sox were
to win a World Series, a New England station might consider that to be a
bulletin.  But if they had just won a regular game, it would not be.

As Poducer of the top-rated News-Talker in my area, I can tell you we were
always starving for news updates, so whenever the President held even a
mundane Press Conference, much to the dismay of many of the Talk hosts.  I
guess the idea behind that might be the possibility of the President
delivering some important statement.

When CBS advised us by closed-circuit of an upcoming bulletin (sometimes
with only a moment's notice, literally) we usually broke in, regardless of
what was on the air at the time, trusting CBS News's good judgement.

But I'm glad that when I was there, no such bulletins were offered during a
Miami Dolphins broadcast.  The Dolphins fans might have had a fit!

Shel Swartz
WRKO/The Big 68 Remembered!
http://www.big68.org/wrko
Call (561) 686-2133