Re: Eagle 93.7, and 1150

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Bob Nelson wrote:

> On the subject of 1150 AM (also bought up on LTAR),
> I remember them being WACQ with top 40, WCOP with
> country, WHUE (beautiful music; sometimes simulcasting
> WHUE-FM 100.7, and sometimes separate), WMEX, WROR,
> WNFT (simulcasting WAAF, and sometimes doing sports
> broadcasts), and more. Yes, 1150 and 740 have gone
> through _so_ many calls and formats!

They were WCOP originally.  I remember them in the 50s as the Top 40
station that most of us listened to.  They flipped suddenly in the summer
of 1962 to "Middle of the Road" pop music.  They were a number of things
over the years, always with the same calls until they went back to top 40
as WACQ.  During the WHUE years, they changed the AM calls to WSNY for a
time, still doing the same beautiful music, then changed back to WHUE.
They also tried an all-news format, also under the WHUE calls, mostly with
CNN news.  I think they went back to beautiful music after that, probably
simulcasting as much as the law allowed at the time, and most likely
running the same music as the FM at other times, but not at the same time.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/