Re: Channel 19?

From: Garrett Wollman <wollman>:
>According to the FCC database, WGBH-DT is still an application at
this
>point.  The following digital TV construction permits have been
issued
>to non-commercial stations:
>
> KCPT-DT 18 Kansas City, Mo.
> WHA-DT 20 Madison, Wisc.
> KBME-DT 22 Bismarck, N.D.
> KLRU-DT 22 Austin, Tex.
> WETA-DT 27 Washington, D.C.
> KQED-DT 30 San Francisco, Calif.
> WITF-DT 36 Harrisburg, Pa.
> KCTS-DT 41 Seattle, Wash.
> KCET-DT 59 Los Angeles, Calif.
>
>Anyone know which of these stations are actually operating?

KCTS just got its digital transmitter up and running -- they want to
position themselves as the leader in the field. They inaugurated the
transmitter with a HDTV broadcast of the John Glenn space launch,
co-promoting the event with a local high-end TV store (Magnolia
Hi-Fi).

According to KCTS, the funds for the HDTV upgrade did not come from
"viewers like you" but solely from corporate underwriters. Will WGBH
be doing the same?

Anyway, I was off work that day, but unfortunately I missed it --
reports said the store was packed to the rafters with people, and
everyone was blown away by the picture.
- --
Greg Franklin
Seattle, Washington  USA