99.9 dead carrier in Troy, N.Y.

I was in Troy, New York today and was tuning around my car radio at about 12
Noon when I stumbled upon a dead carrier running on 99.9 FM.  This was
strong enough to break the scan on my radio.  It must have lasted less than
two hours, as when I returned around 2 PM, the dead carrier was gone.  I
couldn't imagine the trops being good enough for WIII Cortland, N.Y., WEZN
Bridgeport, Conn., or WBTZ Plattsburgh, N.Y. to come in.

Anyone who can give an explanation to this?

Gavin Burt
Albany, New York