Re: Mono (wasRe: WLNG-FM)

>Speaking of mono, my own station, WMWM (FM 91.7) at
>Salem State (I've been there since '81) used to have
>problems where one of the two phone lines leading to
>our antenna would go down, or there would be a problem
>with the board; thus, we'd only be in one "speaker".
>So we'd switch to mono-- and found the signal actually
>did seem to be stronger in some distant locations!

You are correct!  I've been told by many Radio engineers that a mono signal
does travel further than a stereo one.  I don't understand why, though.
Talk Radio statins may not need a stereo signal, but why not hear their
in-house and commercial production in natural stereo?

Years and years ago, in 1968, I listened in my headphones to WGBH-FM doing a
talk show.  I swear, I not only head one peron in my right and one in my
left channel, but I alsothink I perceved an ashtray or something being slid
down the table from one side to the other!  I felt as if I were literally in
the middle of the conversation!