Mono (wasRe: WLNG-FM)

Speaking of mono, my own station, WMWM (FM 91.7) at
Salem State (I've been there since '81) used to have
problems where one of the two phone lines leading to
our antenna would go down, or there would be a problem
with the board; thus, we'd only be in one "speaker".
So we'd switch to mono-- and found the signal actually
did seem to be stronger in some distant locations!

Sometimes, mono can be pretty good. Some early rock
songs were in mono (and sounded awful when they tried
to rechannel them into "stereo"). For the past few
years, I've helped out at a very low-key folk/blues
music festival on Boston's North Shore, and (with their
permision) I've taped parts of it for airplay on my
show, with a "recordable" Panasonic tape deck that
looks no bigger than a "Walkman". This deck records
in mono, but you wouldn't know it from the results.

One recording I did at that festival featured a
woman playing the harp (Celtic music) and you'd think
it were a stereo CD when I play it back in "mono".
So sometimes "mono" isn't bad (no snide jokes about
mononucleosis, please!).

Also,I believe WBUR switches to mono for news and
talk shows.

Bob Nelson
The Juke Joint(Sun. 12-3 pm)
WMWM FM 91.7