Re: WKND vs. WALE (Was Re: WNEZ / WKND / WMMW)

At 01:44 AM 11/3/98 -0400, you wrote:

>WNEZ is 5 >kW, DA-N.

I thought it was DA-2--four towers night (the four that are in line), two
towers days (one of the two center towers of the four that are in-line plus
the one that's not in line). I thought that the day pattern was a figure
eight on a northwest-to-southeast line. However, I suppose that the station
might have changed to DA-N a number of years ago.

>>Ron Suggests:
>>
>>I thought WALE-990 Had the most worthless coverage area (@ 50kw)

>BTW, am I having a permanent brain cramp, or was that station (I
>forget the original call letters) on 1000 kHz instead of 990 when it first
>signed on as a daytimer (which was when? around 1960?), and then just a
>little while later it moved to 990?

I don't think WLKW was ever on 1000. I think WLMS (now WCMX, I believe) got
there first. Pre-NARBA, WBZ was on 990, of course. But post-NARBA, WBET was
on 990 originally (1 kW-D ND) before it moved to 1460. That made room for
WLKW (now WALE), which signed on on 990, as far as I know, with 50 kW-D DA-D
from day one. The calls (Roman numeral L for 50 kW) paid tribute to the
wasted power. But between WBET and WLKW, many years elapsed during which
there was no AM 990 in southeastern New England. There was also a 990 in
Torrington CT for quite a few years (WLCR, 1 kW-D ND). WLCR's demise made
room for WNTY, Southington.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205