Re: UMass football

> >        WMUA was carrying UMass sports long before the commercial stations
> >had much interest in doing most of the sports. Even in the late '60s-early
> >'70s, did anyone else do all the men's basketball games, especially before
> >Julius Erving put the school on the map?

When I started at UMass in 1963, football games were carried by both WMUA
and WTTT.  WTTT was originating commercially to a network which usually
included a Boston-area station.  This continued to be the case, except
that for awhile in the 1980s and 90s, there was no station in the Boston
area.  I'm not sure when the games went to WHMP, but it was in 1997 that
they got a Boston-area affiliate again.  That year it was WXKS-AM.  Last
year and this year, it's been WADN, which is difficult to impossible to
hear in Boston.

I remember the first time I went to a game at the old football field
(where Whitmore Hall is now) and saw the broadcast booth, where, side by
side, were banners for WMUA and WTTT.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/