Re: DXing conditions

In a message dated 98-10-22 00:50:52 EDT, mwaters@wesleyan.edu writes:

>        As far as I've ever known, PJB, the super-power station in Bonaire,
>is religious and usually in English. Bonaire is just off the coast north of
>Venezuela. But could that programming be PJB? The database lists a 50 kW
>station in Maracaibo, Venezuela, on 800, YVTB. This would be my first South
>America DX. On the Sony car radio. But does anyone know if this pop music
>could be PJB, which is a much more likely DX pickup, IMO.

Its most likely PJB-Bonaire, which BTW only broadcasts at NIGHT!   The other
Venezuela station on 800 with 50kw sounds fishy to me, since Bonaire is only
38 miles off the coast of Venezuela!  How could two stations like that with
such great power be so close?   PJB-Bonaire is monstrous 500,000 watts, and
often is Spanish, as they beam figure-8 to Venezuela.    Perhaps the Venezuela
station reduces power at night, or goes off???

- ---jibguy