Re: Tight Play Lists

At 01:30 AM 10/21/98 EDT, FMradio1@aol.com wrote:
The gold titles get burned out very quickly--same goes with the
>currents.  The research may show that these songs are "familiar and
likeable,"
>but if that's the case, why has TSL throughout most music formats declined
>over the past few years as playlists have tightened?  The TSL drop can be
>attributed to many factors, but its possible that the listeners may be right.
>Maybe we do play the same songs way too often.

Look at the playlists in R&R sometimes.  Some stations play their power
currents in excess of 100x/week!  That's almost once an hour!  It seems to
me that it's a rare song that isn't gonna get fried with that kind of
rotation!

OTOH, heavy rotation has been the rule in Top 40 for a long time...I heard
that WLS in their heyday had a light connected to a timer...when the light
came on, the next song you played had to be the #1 song...I think it was
set to go off every 1:10 or something like that.