Re: Tight Play Lists

In a message dated 10/21/98 9:48:45 AM EST, barrys@pop.tiac.net writes:

<< As the host of the syndicated 70s/80s retro show, "The Lost 45s"--which has
 playlist of every charted Top 40 record from that era no longer receiving
adequate
 airplay--I can wholeheartedly agree with you. We are currently having trouble
 convincing any Program Director (AC/Classic Rock/70s and 80s) who is
terrified of
 losing his job, of taking a 'chance' on a proven show. Its not easy being the
only
 syndicated show out there that is musically different than all the others!
Yet
 listeners crave it and have made it #1 25-54 in virtually every market we've
 managed to get in to. Barry Scott >>

I think there is a difference between a specialty show on the weekends and a
station's regular playlists.  I think is does make some sense, both
artistically and commercially, to broaden what is played on a staion with
specialty shows or syndicated shows such as yours.  For example, WMGX has no
Beatles songs in regular rotation, but the station runs the Beatle Years every
Sunday at 7 pm.  The station also runs The Retro Pop Reunion, an 80s music
show that features a lot of stuff that is no heard elsewhere on the station,
and Flashback, which features music from the 60s to the early 80s, also with a
lot of music that is not in regular rotation.  Running such shows helps a
station have an image of playing a great variety of music, without taking a
lot of chances with the day to day playlist.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine