Re: WMUR HDTV to start Nov 1

At 08:47 AM 10/12/98 -0400, you wrote:

>On Sunday during the evening newscasts, Channel 9 Manchester announced that
>their new HDTV transmitter would be on the air November 1. Their new HDTV
>antenna tower is about one hundred feet to the east of there current tower.
>I not sure how tall it is compated to the original tower, as I haven't been
>up on Uncanoonuc Mountain for about a month.
>
>I forget what there channel assignment is, anyone help!
>
>John

Why do you care? You can't see the HDTV transmissions without an HDTV
receiver. Receivers cost about $5000. As far as I know, the initial HDTV
receivers cannot receive analog NTSC transmissions. HDTV receivers can
receive digital ATSC transmissions in the NTSC 4-by-3 aspect ratio and
standard definition as well as high-definition transmissions in the 16-by-9
wide-screen aspect ratio (at a whole bunch of resolutions, frame rates, and
two scan modes--interlaced and progressive; ATSC defines a total of 18 video
formats). As far as I know, however, the initial crop of HDTV receivers can
only demodulate the ATSC standard's 8VSB digital modulation--not NTSC analog
modulation and not even the 64QAM digital modulation that some cable systems
are installing. Experts on the ATSC system also say that most viewers--even
ones in strong-signal areas--will require outside antennas; rabbit ears,
loops, and bow ties rarely cut it. Can you say "not ready for prime time"?

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205