Re: 1939...

>Donna Halper wrote
>Everybody is right on this one, including me.  According to the research
>Scott and I did for WBZ's 75th, Westinghouse had planned to buy several
>stations-- they made offers on them and thought they were really close, but
>both deals evidently fell through.

        Given the group ownership limit rules of that time, and the fact
that Springfield is a smaller market, it's a wonder WBZA survived as long
as it did. IMO, Westinghouse would have been better off doing what it
finally did at an earlier time--dumping WBZA to buy something in a larger
market. For example, we see from this discussion that in 1962 it had no
station in NY and no station in LA.