Re: 1939...

Joe wrote--

>That's what everyone keeps saying nowadays, but back in 1962, when I
>noticed the absence of WBZA from the legal ID, I called up WBZ and asked
>about it.  The person who answered the phone (probably a receptionist)
>told me that it was because of Westinghouse's acquisition of WINS in New
>York.

Everybody is right on this one, including me.  According to the research
Scott and I did for WBZ's 75th, Westinghouse had planned to buy several
stations-- they made offers on them and thought they were really close, but
both deals evidently fell through.  The trades and the media had been
receiving the press releases-- and when one of the deals looked like a sure
bet (that, I believe, was the KFWB story),  it got into print; I have seen
the articles saying it was nearly a done deal...).  But then suddenly,
Westinghouse ended up with WINS, not KFWB nor the other station they were
supposed to acquire (I forget the calls-- it was in the midwest).

 The end result was still the same-- no more WBZA.