Re: Channel 50 News

Gary Ford wrote:

>Did anybody check out the premiere of WNDS News last night?

I forgot!  The start date was delayed so many times that it completely
slipped my mind.  Last night was the time for Media One to change over their
cable lineup in my area.  I miss Channel 8, though WUNI-TV is an amusing
substitute for short stretches of time.  The new cable FM lineup is
(predictably) a disaster; half of the remaining few channels are either
rebroadcasts of cable TV audio or the National Weather Service.  Needless to
say, I'm on twinlead for the forseeable future.  That won't do for Boston
signals, especially WBCN which is pretty much
obliterated by WEVO's damned Dover translator on 104.3 MHz.

>Let's talk about this and other radio/TV topics.

WMPG's translator is on the air at 104.1 MHz (what does the FCC have against
WBCN, anyway?)  According to an article in the current Casco Bay Weekly, the
50-watt TX (which cost a reported $15,000) is located atop a condo complex
in the Eastern Promenade section of Portland.  I think they're running
considerably more than their licensed power, as the signal is nearly as good
as the 1,111-watt main TX in Gorham!  WBCN's signal is (naturally) wiped out
from Saco north, with a dogfight ensuing until the alt-rock giant takes over
in the Wells/North Berwick area.  The first time I listened last Friday,
their audio was laden with an obnoxious high-pitched tone; I can't imagine
anyone bothering to listen if this is what they're going to sound like.
Then again, there's nothing wrong with WMPG's translator that a well-placed
shotgun blast to their transmission line wouldn't fix. ;)

>Or has everyone been bought out by Capstar and then banned from this
newsgroup?

No, Media One just cut off their net access. ;)

Take care,

Chris