Re: WEEI vs. CKVL

At 10:09 AM 9/22/98 -0400, Martin J. Waters wrote:
>        The FCC database shows CKVL, Verdun, Quebec, the famous 850 that
>bombards WEEI with skywave interference at night, also listed at 940 kHz.
>Does anyone know anything about this? The CBC supposedly is abandoning 940
>in Montreal, we know.

   I had a chance yesterday to visit a friend at CIQC (AM 600 Montreal)
which shares studio space with CKVL and talked to a couple of the techs
there. Here is their take on a couple of issues.

940 AM    It is assumed that the CRTC will insure that 940 stays english
and the group owner of CIQC (and CKVL) have put together an interesting
proposal.
CIQC would move to 940 and seek a waiver to reclaim the call CFCF (AM), the
TV group has no objection. With the move to 940 CIQC would pledge to run as
little imported syndicated programs from the US as possible.
AM 600 would become a 24 hour news station with a twist....half english,
half french using the resources of CIQC and CKVL. The belief is that most
residents on Montreal Island under the age of 35 have a working knowledge
of both languages.

CJAD is also looking at 940, but the CRTC is unhappy with them for not
diverting news programming to FM when 800 went silent during the ice storm
last winter.

However they claim this all might become moot as CBC is rethinking Radio
One in Montreal as the new FM signal is not covering the west island as
well as hoped....and coverage in the "Townships" is now spotty.

The CKVL techs were surprised that their signal is bumping WEEI as they
have not heard anything from anybody. I told them that on my car radio CKVL
is winning the battle in the Lowell/Chelmsford area at night, and also at
my home in Somerville. Ironically WEEI causes CKVL problems west of
downtown Montreal.