Re: XETRA-AM (silly IDs)

>A woman reads the call letters fairly slowly and clearly in
>Spanish (at least for me, a native Spanish speaker): X-E-T-R-A
>Ahh Emm-Ay, Rosarito, Baja California, May-jee-co.

1. I thought Mexican Legal IDs were suppoed to be voiced at :30.

2. As far as I know, XETRA (AM) now runs 77.5 kW-U (DA-2--I think, but
possibly DA-1). The power increase had no effect on the signal into the US,
where the border blaster could not increase radiation toward the
second-adjacent stations in LA and (I think) Simi Valley. With the power
increase from 50 kW, the main lobe to the southeast (toward Central Mexico)
increased substantially. Maybe the Mexican government felt that granting
this increase to a station that programs exclusively in English (except for
the legal IDs), would help tourism from the US.

3. When did XETRA change its COL from Tijuana to Rosarita? (Isn't that
really Plaja Rosarita?) I distinctly remember hearing XETRA ID in the 50s
and 60s (also using a female voice in Spanish) as XETRA, Tijuana, Baja
California, Mexico. XEPRS--1090 (ex-XERB, Wolfman Jack's second border
blaster) has been licensed to Plaja Rosarita as long as I can remember.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205