Re: Rates (was Silly legal IDs)

In a message dated 9/20/98 11:09:34 PM EST, shel@big68.org writes:

<< Dan...where ya been? In deference to one of the great New England states
 I've lived and worked in,  not ONE City in New Hampshire (or Maine, or
 Vermont) qualifies as a good-sized market, which is why rates are
 considerably lower than markets such as the one I'm in (W. Palm Beach).  >>

My point was that radio rates are low when you compare audience, reach and
effectiveness with the rates of other advertising mediums.  Local newspapers
in Maine charge huge rates, while many radio stations practically give the
product away.  Rates are also low when compared to many other free
publications that nobody even reads.

The rates are also low when compared to television.  The last time I checked
(this spring) the lowest unit rate for a political campaign on the top rated
TV news show in Portland was approximately $700 for a :30, while the top rated
radio morning show was well under $100 for a :60.

I am not saying that radio rates should be as high as TV or newspapers but
oversaturation and bottom feeders drive radio rates down, well below their
value in comparison to other advertising mediums.  Radio Works.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine