Standards...WXKS-AM, WNEW, WQEW

>At 12:32 PM 9/13/98 EDT, FMradio1@aol.com wrote:

>>Adult standards is a growing format, especially since it has "moderned
- -up"
>its
>>sound over the past 10 to 15 years.  Gone is most of the big band
material
>and
>>a lot of the really obscure 50's titles, and in its place are the big
50's
>>names, Sinatra, Como, even some Elvis, with music from the 60 & 70's
woven
>in.
>>You'll even hear an occasional 80's or 90's tune on adult standards
nowadays.
>>I think you'll see the format continue to evolve over the next several
years.

In the latest numbers, WXKS-AM (with it's meager signal) and 'generic'
sattelite format got a 2.2.

That *almost* as good as WSJZ's 2.4.

And that *beats*  WBOS, WFNX & WILD.

I always wondered how much better than their 2.4 the 'XKS-AM format
would do on a full-signal FM....(???)  If they even hit a 3.0...they'd
beat Jazz, WROR, Eagle, and WKLB Country.  Make ya' wonder....

I know, I know....the demo's are older....... yada-yada-yada....

BTW..>Speaking of standards.....does anyone agree that WQEW doesn't
sound anywhere near as good as WNEW did...?    WQEW sounds sterile.
WNEW did a good job of showcasing the music in glitz....be it
personalities....hokey jingles...or program names....like the Make-
Believe Ballroom"...or "Milkmans Matinee".

WQEW sounds like a 90's AC programmer...programming standards...