1620 in Lawrence....and more!

>This evening while in Lawrence going to supper in my new vehicle,
playing
>with the radio,I came across(while in seek mode) a station on 1620
playing
>what sounded like Spanish religious music.
>

>>The Lawrence area has been home to Spanish signals for about two years
now
>>on 1620 AM. There is also a station that has alternated between 1680
and
>>1700 that has been on for about two years doing Spanish programing.

I remember about a year ago going thru Lawrence...and passing an Spanish
Evangelical Church....which had a large sign over the doorway that said:

		WEBR -1620AM

(I couldn't help but wonder what the letters stood for...  I know in
many cities their is an "Ebenezer Baptist Church"....could the letters
stand for that?)

My guess is that what we've been hearing is an unlicensed low-power
station...operated as part of the church.  The Eagle-Tribune ran a
profile awhile back of Spanish community leader "...who has so many
things to do, he evn runs a local religious radio station...".  It
didn't say which one....but I would guess it's this unlisenced station.

Funny though, when the FCC started to crackdown on pirates....the big
sign over the doorway came down.  I thought that maybe they weren't
aware that it was illegal.....and stopped broadcasting once they were
"enlightened".

But I guess they are back!

Early this morning I heard both a station at 1620 and 1680...at the same
time with different programming.  So, I think they are different people
running them.  (I don't understand Spanish...so I don't know who they
are...or what organization they represent....but it sounds like
preaching and religious hymns/music, etc.)

????