Re: Standards

>Steve Ordinetz wrote:
>When you get right down to it, what is the Standards format?  Essentially
>an oldies format for the tail end of the pre-rock generation, and the older
>end of the rock generation.
<snip>

        The dynamic at work with the adults standard format also includes
tight selection from within different time periods. In other words, some of
the formats use music from the '70s, but it's the Carpenters, Sammy Davis,
Jr., Paul Anka, etc., what once upon a time was played on MOR or "chicken
rock" or "soft rock" (as it was defined then) formats and in some cases
also on straight-ahead top 40. The songs you heard on a station like WRKO
in about 1972 are now divided among formats. It seems funny now to remember
that WRKO would have a playlist that included "We've Only Just Begun" and
"Layla." Now, there's no such format.