Re: Standards

At 12:32 PM 9/13/98 EDT, FMradio1@aol.com wrote:

>Adult standards is a growing format, especially since it has "moderned-up"
its
>sound over the past 10 to 15 years.  Gone is most of the big band material
and
>a lot of the really obscure 50's titles, and in its place are the big 50's
>names, Sinatra, Como, even some Elvis, with music from the 60 & 70's woven
in.
>You'll even hear an occasional 80's or 90's tune on adult standards nowadays.
>I think you'll see the format continue to evolve over the next several years.
>As the baby boomers begin to age into the 55+ demo, I would not be
suprised to
>see the current "oldies" format more or less become the "standards" station.

When you get right down to it, what is the Standards format?  Essentially
an oldies format for the tail end of the pre-rock generation, and the older
end of the rock generation.  It only stands to reason that the format will
evolve...the big band era audience is dying off...even my parents, both in
their 70s consider the big band stuff "before their time".

that Classic Rock hits the next segment of population.  Eventually, I'm
sure that there will be a nostalgia format of some sorts for  people who
came of age in the late 70s/80s, but radio was so fragmented by then that
it will be tough to reach and relate to a large enough audience, as we've
seen with numerous failed attempts at a "classic hits" format.