Re: NBC Late On McGwire's 62nd HR

<< >If so, then why would ESPN II and ESPN News have cut away?  In fact, maybe
 >that explains it - their philosophy may be, "if you want breaking sports
 >news, go to ESPN News; ESPN is primarily for features now." >>

OK,  maybe I was wrong on it being sour grapes but it's still nuts.  If the
major networks can cut away from entertainment shows then ESPN (A sports
network, by the way) should cut away from a taped pool show!  Also, it is
important to remember that many cable systems do not carry ESPN II or ESPN
News.  ESPN is not primarily for features, they run many games live and still
spend a great deal of time on their sports news shows.  (Sportscenter,
Baseball Tonight, ect.)  Any regular viewer of ESPN would have expected to see
the home run on ESPN soon after it happened.  Of course, most of ESPN's
regular viewers were watching Fox at the time so maybe that's why they didn't
bother.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine