Re: Mix 98.5 using EAS Signal in bumpers?

At 10:07 AM 9/8/98 -0400, you wrote:

>I've been hearing the EAS signal come up over the last month on a few
>southern NH radio stations, followed by absolutely no announcement. The
>last occurance was on WSMN 1590 in Nashua. I can't remeber when I last
>heard an EAS signal followed by an announcement. WGIR 610 Manchester on 3

Could it be an NWS problem?  Their SAME is identical to EAS and most, if
not all, non-test alerts originate from the NWS.  Why do I think this?

Two nights ago, we had severe weather in the Northeast.  I think Scott can
attest to this as his area was hit the hardest.  I own an alerting
weatheradio, since I'm in the SKYWARN program.  It went off no less than
*seven* times between 3 and 6 AM that morning!  On at least three of these
alerts, I'd hit the button to get the voice announcement, and...nothing.
Dead air.

I don't mind being awakened for a thunderstorm warning, since that kind of
weather can get nasty real fast, but the dead air really gets me.   I'm not
about to take my  radio off-line anytime soon, but the NWS really should do
something about this.

Take care,

Dave