Re: Mix 98.5 using EAS Signal in bumpers?

Lindsay Collins <lcollins@conknet.com> responded to John Bolduc & others
who said:
>> I've been hearing the EAS signal come up over the last month on a
>>few  southern NH radio stations, followed by absolutely no
announcement.
>>The last occurance was on WSMN 1590 in Nashua. I can't remeber when I
>>last heard an EAS signal followed by an announcement....
>>

>The required weekly test is just that;  EAS opening and header data
>(three times) and the EOM (three times).

Lindsay is a man of few words, but they are absolutely correct.  Check
the FCC's Part 11 rules...there is no requirement that a station include
any voice identification or text with a Required Weekly Test.  I don't
specifically know if WBMX is incorporating their RWT in a bumper, but it
is legal and would be a creative way to do it.

A Required Monthly Test, on the other hand, does include a voice
transmission.  All stations have 15 minutes to rebroadcast it upon
receipt.  Coincidentally, the RMT for September will originate from the
National Weather Service tomorrow (Wednesday, Sept. 9, at 10:15AM).  It
will further be distributed through the NH Office of Emergency Management
microwave network.  Here's hoping everyone will receive it and know what
to do with it.

Ed Brouder, Chairman
NH State Emergency Communications Committee
(Brouder@Juno.com)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]