Re: WPOR registers WTHT domain name

- ->> But, is it a trademark violation?  Is an FCC assigned call sign
>> registerable as a trademark?
>>
>> Larry Weil
>> Lake Wobegone, NH

Nope.  Nobody can "own" call letters, just as they cannot "own" a frequency.
The FCC can giveth out, and can taketh away.

>This might be of interest...
>
>My  boyfriend (who's an internet buff) just pased
>this on to me:
>
>If WPOR's crosstown rival goes to court or complains to the
>"InterNIC" (The registration authority for web domain addresses
>in the USA), then WPOR may be prohibited from such an action
>
>WPOR  might get its registration fees refunded and told they
>can't do such  a stunt.>Can anyone confirm this?
>--

WPOR is within teh law.  I could use Coca-Cola.com if it weren't a
trademarked name.  You can't copyright, trademark, or otherwise own call
letters.  Sort of like renting an apartment.  You might pay rent for 50
years (like renewing a statin's license year after year), yet never own one
square inch of the place.

Incidentally, I could have selected wrko.org, steadof big68.org.  But I
didn't do so (A) because I'm not interested in confusing anyone ro
inadvertently offending the current WRKO-ers, and (B) because I'm thinking
of adding other non-WRKO station memorabilia to the site.

:)

Shel Swartz

WRKO/The Big 68 Remembered!
Official Museum/Archive of The Big 68, 1967-1982
http://big68.org/wrko
Phone (561) 686-2133