Re: WTIC/WFSB

In a message dated 8/25/98 4:01:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mwaters@wesleyan.edu writes:

<< I'm hazy on the history of how channel 61 in Hartford got to use
 WTIC-TV when it signed on back in the '80s. But, I believe that the rules
 at that time were not the same as now, although they had moved away from
 the earlier, stricter rules that regulated the use of calls in the
 different broadcast services. When channel 61 was founded, it had some
 substantial common ownership with WTIC (AM) and WTIC-FM, through Arnold
 Chase and his family. >>

Correct.  When Channel 61 hit the air in the 1980's, the principal owner was
David Chase, Arnold Chase's son.  The companies were different, which allowed
for the separate ownership rule at the time.  David asked his dad for
permission to use the WTIC-TV calls for Channel 61 and was given it.

Mike Thomas, WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks