uncommonly owned call letters

Hi,group.
After reading the thread on WTIC-TV,I have the following questions. In
the old days, if you wanted to use existing calls on a station in
another service, permission from the original holder was required (I
think). If I was to buy a radio station, could I name it WHDH-AM or
WHDH-FM without Ch.7's OK? Even if it was in Boston?  Does anyone want
to speculate why those calls haven't been grabbed? Also, could one of
the jingle collectors on this list answer this...was it WHDH that used
the "Best show in Boston" package? It also ran on an FM....which one? I
want to say WZOU or  WVBF,but not sure.

Eric