Voicetracked Automation

In a message dated 8/6/98 1:37:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dbassett@sover.net
writes:

<< The FM side is dropping the bird feed (sometime in the next week
 or two, once all the equipment is installed) in favor of locally voicetracked
 automation (we'll still be live during drive times). I think this type of
 automation, when it's done right, is the lesser of the two evils (the other
 being satellite, and having virtually no local air talent/community
 involvement). >>

I can put up with localized voicetracking, since there is a local talent
around to recut breaks or go live if the situation warrants.  What bothers me
is the idea of "talent" from 2000 miles away cutting localized breaks for a
station, along with 10 others sprinkled around the country (Virtual Radio).
This can allow a station owner to have NO programming people on staff.  This,
unfortunately, is the future of radio, and the future does not look bright, at
least if you're an air talent or a PD.

Mike Thomas, WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks