Re: WLLH

At 11:13 AM 8/5/98 -0500, BUMP MARTIN wrote:

>Yesterday I tuned in for awhile...and heard what sounded like generic
>voice tracks...albeit local....  And then some sort of lame-backselling,
>again local.
>
>While I am happy they don't appear to be going "on the bird"...They DO
>seem to be heading for "automation-land".
>
>And this disturbs me.  (Are they taking lessons from Capstar?)

While I don't specifically know about WLLH, voicetracked automation is the
way much of the industry is going...I, for one see nothing wrong with it
(the stations I work for are both voicetracked)...while it takes a little
getting used to, once everything is up and running properly, it is
difficult to tell that it isn't live.  It solves the problem of staffing
24/7 (anyone who thinks there are loads of qualified, dependable people
looking for work...guess again!) and frees the operator on duty from being
chained to the board for the entire shift.

I like it.  I'm not sure I'd want to go back to doing things the old way.
A station's commitment to its audience does not depend on what equipment
they use to put programming on the air.  It's an attitude...the owners of
the group I work for have proven time & time again that they intend to be
involved in the community we serve & put the best possible product on the
air.