NPR, WGBH, WBUR.....

> In a message dated 98-08-02 21:38:39 EDT, Shel writes:
>
> << I doubt if any station - including NPRs -whose programming varies
so much
> hour-to hour, could garner many rating points. >>

> Then, Billings, Dan\ America Online: (DIB9) wrote:
>
> I have heard that Maine Public Radio would be a top 5 station in
Portland if
> they were rated.  I don't know if there are any figures to back up
this claim,
> but their drive time news blocks are certainly listened to by a large
> audience.

All you have to do is use the Arbitron MaxiMizer program.  It lists the
station with 'educational' licenses.

In Boston WBUR continually rates within the top 10  25-54....  and does
even better during drive-time....during "All Things Considered"  Also,
NPR's median audience is younger than WBZ's.

But again the question.  How is a commercial station suppose to compete
with news in a commercial free environment?  Where NPR can afford to
have reporters around the Globe (through your tax dollars, I might add).
...how can (and why should) a local station compete with a station
getting that much of a subsidy and advantage?

Just my thoughts....

BM