Re: 1610- house for sale..

PWerlin@aol.com wrote:

> << e're told the folks at the Central
>  Artery/Tunnel project have a new TIS on the air in the South End area,
>  and it's on 1610 kHz.  >>
>
> I saw something strange recently -- I drove by a house for sale and there was
> a sign telling me to tune to 1610 to hear about it.  I  tried but it was just
> the usual noise.   I wasn't right in front of the house by that point.  What
> do they call that?

I know at least one real estate agency in this area uses this method of
advertising. They usually play a looped message giving potential buyers all the
info they need. Number of bedrooms, square footage, acreage, taxes rates, etc.
Generally you would have to be literally be sitting in the dooryard of the house
in order to pick it up. A useful use of low-powered unlicensed radio
broadcasting.

Doug Bassett
West Brattleboro, Vt.