Re: why move Bruce???

In a message dated 98-07-28 01:31:47 EDT, Donna writes:

<< Secondly, we have a long history (from way back in the radio days of E.B.
 Rideout) of hiring meteorologists for their education and expertise rather
 than their looks.  >>

I would like to state that in my earlier post I did not mean to imply that
Bruce was making any claims or that Bruce was hired for his looks.  My point
was meant more generally about TV people in general.  I have read stories
about female reporters who complain that they can not get a job on TV after
they turned 40.  In some of those cases, and in the case of men too, they got
the job at least partly because of their looks.  If the looks go, they should
not be surprised if the job goes.

It is also true that TV people today are hired at least in part on how they
look and on a subjective judgement of whether they will attract viewers.  They
don't just pick the best forecasters, they pick people who people will want to
watch on TV.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine