Re: why move Bruce???

OK:  In my other life, I work in Human Resources.  I've been following
the thread about Bruce S. at WBZ... here's my thoughts --

>Dan Billing wrote:
>
>As for the claim of age discrimination:  Is it age discrimination if
>thestation decides to replace someone because management decides that
>person no longer attracrts viewers because of their age, looks or
whatever?  I
> don't think so.  The bottom line is gaining viewers and selling ads and
if
>management decided that an on-air talent no longer helps the station
>do that then they are well within their rights to fire them.  I also
find it
>>interesting when people claim age discrimination when part of the
>reason they originally got the job was because they were young and good
>looking.

The only kind of case that can be made regarding age discrimination that
I know of is if Bruce were to be discharged, which he has not.  My guess
is, and it's only a guess, but that his hours of working are the only
things that have changed:  he is *probably* receiving his same salary as
before he was moved.

>On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 14:38:00 -0400 Roger Kirk <rkirk@videoserver.com>
>writes:

>Would it be age discrimination if the job description included
>verbiage stating that the holder of the job must possess and maintain an
>appearance that is considered attractive to whatever viewing audience
that the >broadcast company wishes to target?

>From my understanding, this might be enforceable in a contract with the
company management, but again, as related to age discrimiation, a
discharge would have to be involved.  Bruce is undoubtedly over 40 years
old, 40+ is the age that person's can file such discrimination cases, but
again, termination is usually involved.

It could very well be that CBS is just gonna make Bruce's life miserable
until he leaves in disgust.  Too bad, Bruce is one of the best IMHO.

Rick Kelly

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]