RE: new WODS PD

Shel wrote:

>I believe that people don't care much about the years. But as an oldies
fan,
>I prefer music that's "up" and makes you feel good.  Certainly, not
every
>oldie was good, and to me, the current lot of music is either for (I'm
being
>nice) the hippie type, or the soft rock fan.  Top 40 was FUN music on
the
>whole, and when I listen to an oldies station, to me, a Top 40/Roc oldie
is
>roughkly from 1955 to 1985....and if they played something from 1987 on
>occasion, it wouldn't ruffle my feathers, unless the song were a downer.

I agree wholeheartedly.  When my wife & I were on vacation on PEI
10 days ago, we listened to CHTN 720 AM.  They position as "good
times and great oldies".  Their range is from late 50's (57/58/59) thru
the mid 70's.  And they play bunches of "fun" Top 40 tunes that I haven't
heard in years.  There were no jarring discontinuities of years, the
announcers take requests and they have FUN.

It was very enjoyable to hear songs that weren't Top 5 smashes,
but evoke very strong memories of when we originally heard them.
We think hearing a song that you haven't heard in a long time is a
very pleasant experience, indeed.

Even with the mandatory 30% canadian content, it was quite
enjoyable.  I learned a lot about canadian artists.

Roger Kirk
rkirk@videoserver.com