New "oldies" format?

In a message dated 98-07-24 02:27:32 EDT, ASchinella@AOL.COM writes:

<< Will the "alternative" oldies stations be playing "Pretty in Pink"
 by the Psychedelic Furs or "Inbetween Days" by the Cure and call them
 oldies?!!? Or will they just continue to do what they are doing now: Calling
 them "Leftovers" (on WFNX) or "Recycled" (on WBCN)?!!? >>

If this happens, I'd program that format in a heartbeat.  I wouldn't call it
"oldies" or "classic".  I'd use "Retro Rock" or something to that effect.
Similar formats already exist on the internet.  In a professional, college
town like Boston, I could see this kind of format working.  Heck, I bet FNX
could do retro-alternative fulltime right now, and get better numbers than
they get currently.

Mike Thomas, WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks