Re: WCAP needs help!!!

At 12:20 PM 7/23/98 EDT, FMradio1@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 98-07-21 14:43:28 EDT, LJNF40D@prodigy.com writes:
>
><< Wasn't there a time when you had people bangin' down the doors of
> stations just to work in radio?  (or "kids" dying to 'run the board'?)>>
>
>Yes, there used to be a time when this happened--I was one of those people.
>The big difference between then and now was that I knew that with hard work I
>could elevate myself to air talent or even PD of that station, while gaining
>experience to someday move on to bigger stations.  Today many small market AM
>and even FM stations are partially or even totally automated.  The dream of
>getting on the air is non-existant.  Why pay your dues when theres no
>possibility of fuffilling your dream?

I think we're being totally negative here.  Unfortunately, there aren't as
many people willing to start at the very bottom any more.  There's the
attitude that "hey, I've got a life, I don't wanna work some overnight
shift".  Rule #1 of working in radio: your job is your life, get used to it.

One of the part-timers at our station came to us when he was a sophmore in
high school...the only experience he had was some interning at Kiss 108.
But he was willing to work hard, learn to operate our automation system and
was given a regular weekend shift (Saturday nights) within 6 months.  He's
still in high school & is (thru the magic of voicetracking) doing 7-mid
now.  Opportunities are there, but you have to recognize and make the most
of them.

Yeah, we get a ton of T&Rs...I doubt 5% of them are worth the postage it
took to send them in.  Just wanting to be a deejay isn't enough to cut
it...yeah you could get away with it once when stations had to be staffed
24/7...often they took what they could get...now with automation we can
afford to be a bit more selective...and you have to..there aren't a hell of
a lot of good people looking for work!!