Re: WCAP needs help!!!

In a message dated 98-07-21 14:43:28 EDT, LJNF40D@prodigy.com writes:

<< Wasn't there a time when you had people bangin' down the doors of
 stations just to work in radio?  (or "kids" dying to 'run the board'?)>>

Yes, there used to be a time when this happened--I was one of those people.
The big difference between then and now was that I knew that with hard work I
could elevate myself to air talent or even PD of that station, while gaining
experience to someday move on to bigger stations.  Today many small market AM
and even FM stations are partially or even totally automated.  The dream of
getting on the air is non-existant.  Why pay your dues when theres no
possibility of fuffilling your dream?

<< My guess is that the pay is crappy...and the hours suck (holidays
 included at no extra pay)....and if they would correct at least one of
 those issues...they would have NO trouble finding employees! >>

The pay does suck!!  When I broke into commercial radio eleven years ago, I
was making $6.75 an hour doing parttime, and THAT was in an unrated market.  I
worked in Hartford for $5/hr. back in 1990, and I did it for the experience,
but to offer that kind chump change these days with no chance for advancement,
no wonder there's a shortage of warm bodies around the radio ranch.

In addition, the fulltime money isn't what it used to be either.  I
interviewed for a PD position at a station and was offered it---but the money
was the same as what I was making doing overnights at WERZ.  Since I had PD
experience, I turned it down.  Now I just do part-time, and until all this
buying and selling and consolidating dies down, I'll be content with watching
from the sidelines.  Hopefully, these mega corporations will realize how badly
they are watering down the product, and when they do, I'll be ready with my
T&R.

Mike Thomas, WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks