Other Cable Ideas... (Was: PaxNet)

I know there is a market for this type of programming but I wonder if it could
compete with the more powerful Family Channel, which offers some of the same
shows, albeit with the "700 Club" and other religious shows.

I have often wondered how a lot of these small satellite cable stations can
survive. One that comes to mind is the Outdoor Channel, which I see advertised
in some magazines, but have never seen the channel. I once read about this
left-leaning/activist cable station called "The 90's Channel" which offered a
more open (in my opinion) news/talk programming then say that GOP financed
cable station. Yet, strangely, since we live in the most liberal area of the
nation, I could never get Cablevision to offer it. They went under a few years
back.

An idea I have always wished the cable companies would do is to set aside a
channel or two where once a week (or every two weeks), they could offer some
of these obscure satellite stations to viewers to watch and see if there is
any interest in picking them up. Also, why can't they fill up the time on
cable access channels (when they aren't showing local stuff) with shows from
other cable system's cable access shows? One of the things I love when I go to
NY where my girlf's parents live is to check out their cable access shows.

Or why not give each subscriber the option of being able to fully program,
from say the hundreds of channels out there, what they want to watch and pay
for (and BEYOND the pitiful Optimum service Cablevision offers). This way, I
could get rid of all those stupid shopping and religious channels (I hope when
and if Jesus returns, he fries those greedsters first!) and get something I
might want to watch.

Just my $37.65 for this month's pathetic cable service!
Tony