RE: USA Network News (was Today's LTAR)

>>Dan Billings wrote:
>>I am sure that many of you will be surprised that I would
>>complain about about a newscast with a conservative bias,
>>but I think all news should be objective.  There is plenty
>>of room for opinions on the editorial pages or in talk shows

>Shel responded:
>I'm not sure that the liberal or conservative tag can be applied
>to facts.  Either something is, or it isn't.  I hear lies in the form
>of incomplete stories given on the "other" networks on a regular
>basis.  I'd rather hear it the way it is, liberal or conservative.

Even plain facts can sound like bias:

An apocryphal story (from the 60's) about a horse race between
a US horse and a Soviet Union's horse.  The US horse won.
The Soviet newspaper reported:  "The Soviet horse came in second
while the American horse finished next to last."

Roger Kirk
rkirk@videoserver.com