RE: WBZ

The message "escaped" before I finished editing.
That darn Ctl+Enter key.

My e-mail address is:
rkirk@videoserver.com

Bob Nelson Wrote:

<snip> WBZ had every right to cut him off when he started to
use language that might not be appropriate for
children. In Joe Fitzgerald's Herald column, he quoted
someone from WBZ (the PD, I think) who said that the
show was airing at a time when a lot of families could
be listening-- you know, driving home from the Cape or
something-- and Butch's language may have been not
appropriate for all ages.</snip>

In order to assess for myself, since I didn't hear the broadcast
in question, would some member of this group e-mail me (privately)
with some details of Butch's diatribe?

<snip>Incidentally, I understand that it _is_ hard for
producers and board ops to accurately chop off swear
words and stuff. Sometimes, they "miss".</snip>

True.  I've been a board-op myself.

I would, however, like to recount what I saw years ago at WMEX.
I was visiting the Broadcast House (circa 66) and the evening
talk host (I forget his name) was running his own board.  The
caller managed to sneak in an unacceptable word.  The talk
host switched his headphones to "air", cut out the offensive
word, switched back to "pre-delay" and never missed a beat.

Roger Kirk
rkirk@videoserver.com