Re: Music piped to gas pumps

In a message dated 98-07-14 13:06:04 EDT, John_Bolduc@Pictel.com writes:

>Is this legal / ethical?  I thought there was sort of ASCAP / BMI etc
>concern over playing an actual radio station like this.
>
> regarding gas station music at the pumps.

It is technically illegal to do it without an ASCAP/BMI/SESAC license.  Small
shops who play the radio, if not directly aimed at customers, but rather for
the owner and employees have legally a "home use exclusion" that applies to
them.   BUT if a gas station aims the music with speakers AT the pumps where
only customers frequent (self-serve stations, only) then they must get
licenses.  Gas stations won't do such, but if they are visited by the
Licensing Police (and they DO exist), they must sign up or turn it off.

- ----jibguy