Re: Editorial Judgement (was CENSORSHIP on WBZ RADIO)

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Donna Halper wrote:

> I guarantee there is more to this than just Butch's call (which I heard
> too).  Lobel and management have not seen eye to eye on the direction of
> WBZ and Lobel has made assorted snide remarks over the past few months.  He
> does not really work for Peter Casey except on that Sunday show, since his
> contract is mainy a TV contract... I assume this altercation was the
> build-up of a number of things.  Hmm, I wonder if WBZ will cover the
> firing/resignation of Lobel... <gg>

  So far THREE people on this list HEARD the call on a sleepy Sunday
night, which means Lobel offers a product that people listen to...and if
my original hunch is correct, follow Lobel for Sports Final on Channel 4
later on Sunday night.

 Remember we are talking about a situation where there was a seven second
delay in effect...Casey could have instructed the board op to hit the
"profanity switch" or have the talent informed so Butch could be asked to
tone it down.

 In Butch's case, having the "producer-screener" not allow him on the air
would backfire as he would be screaming the next day on WEEI, and feeding
Baker in the Herald or Manley at the Globe. Now if WBZ doesn't want to do
sports fine.....but an awful lot of people driving back to the city on
Sunday night will look elsewhere on the dial.